[lbo-talk] Bill Clinton's speaking fees

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 23 08:44:49 PDT 2012

On May 23, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> I beg to differ. Fee for service obtains only when one can
> legally perform that service in consideration of receiving some value.
> One cannot legally perform government services to private parties
> while in government office, and when one does one takes a bribe, plain
> and simple.

My friend Enrique Diaz-Alvarez, who was on this list in its early days, often says that a lot of what politicians do in office can be explained by their desire for no-show/no-work jobs after they leave office. Finance minister agreeing to a horrendous IMF program for your country? Sure, there's a job for you at Goldman later! Etc.

Doug