[lbo-talk] Tweeters, Twitterers and Twats

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:42:30 PDT 2012

Dennis C: "Reading books like Liar's Poker or Barbarians at the Gates, you get the idea that if business and finance people weren't good at pithy one-liners they'd never get anything done. And they obviously get a lot done."

[WS:] I did not claim that. In fact, I claimed the opposite - that people with certain gravitas do not have to say much, because every word they say has gravitas. I can go even further and say that if someone uses a lot of words, the chances are he/she does not have much power.

What I was arguing is that a person like myself has no illusion that one's is so importance to anyone but the closest family that people would spend time to follow what that person gives off in one liners. Those who do not have power need to explain themselves, and that usually takes more than 144 characters. The less power they have, the more words they need to do this explanation.

I see no problem sending short messages to my wife or friend about plans for the evenings or a link to interesting web page - but I usually use email for this purpose. Seems less complicated than opening a twitter account and expecting them to do the same. What is more, it gives me more control to whom I send the message, which I appreciate very much. But following hundreds of tweets every day and sifting through them bits and pieces of interest seems like an enormous waste of time to me

-- Wojtek