[lbo-talk] Tweeters, Twitterers and Twats

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu May 31 04:19:22 PDT 2012

yup. I've been to these "trainings" from facebook and twitter. under the guise of helping businesses figure out how to use it, they are actually showing people how to monetize it in subtle and not so subtle ways.

the big push to start using facebook and twitter as advertising platforms - not banner ads - but product placement, mutual promotion deals, etc. - started about 18 months ago. It's been pretty fascinating.

There's also been huge ramp up in the audience research space where the use of impossible to kill cookies collates all the data about you connecting the email address you use for your mortgage app to your legalzoom account to your browsing to your store purchases. The goal is to be able to serve up completely different news, content, etc depending on who you are. I'm a low income black woman I see one set of articles containing news of the world, I'm a 55 year old white guy living in upscale neighborhood, completely different set of news items (or whatever).

good news is: all the commercialization will ruin the space and people will flee to something else.