[lbo-talk] Tweeters, Twitterers and Twats

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 08:11:18 PDT 2012

Marc cited: "Behind That Celebrity Tweet How Social-Media Sites Like Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook Woo Stars to Boost Traffic and Ad Sales"

[WS:] Interesting posting, thank you. It seems that the so-called "social media" (are there anti-social media, btw?) is the old, well established in this culture phenomenon of celebrity cult that used to be the domain of certain print media and tee-vee, basically a bunch of groupies following a celebrity figure, with the infusion of new hype into it.

This reminds me of an old Grateful Dead joke - Q: "What does a Grateful Dead fan say when he runs out of weed?" A: "Gee, this band sucks!" All you need to do is to replace "Grateful Dead" with tweeter, facebook and the like and "weed" with "marketing hype."

In short, it is not the technology that I complain about, but the marketing hype associated with that technology.

-- Wojtek