[lbo-talk] College Graduates on the Brink: A Double Waste

John Wesley godisamethodist at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 09:57:14 PDT 2012

At least refer them to the CIA, instead of the military.   One can still find all the glory there, with none of the risk, while retaining the civilian lifestyle. There's also job security for life, as well as all the other benefits of federal employment.

Why risk one's life, when it's so much easier to kidnap unarmed Muslim clerics? Mike G.

El pueblo armado jamas sera aplastado!

From: michael perelman <michael.perelman3 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:50 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] College Graduates on the Brink: A Double Waste

In the last week, 3 of my best students told me that they were joining the military.  One came for a letter of recommendation and another whom I knew when he was in high school only told me today when I asked about his plans. Another bright young guy from basketball is dropping out to join.  Again, financial considerations are dominant. I assume they are the tip of the iceberg among students with whom I am close. They see no decent job prospects in the civilian sector.  What is going on when our economy creates such a double waste: not providing decent opportunities and then drawing them into a killing machine.