[lbo-talk] Climate change and elections

Eleutherios eleutherios.rizooto at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 00:17:23 PDT 2012

The Weather Channel did cover climate change in the past but it was pummeled for doing so and one of its prominent "on screen meteorologists" (Heidi Cullen) departed in large part due to this. She was more than an operational meteorologist (i.e. a forecaster, typically with a bachelors or masters at most), she was one of their experts (she was to climate what their other experts were to severe weather, tropical cyclones , and winter storms) with an advanced degree (PhD) and research background --in climate science, not just meteorology.

One can expect even less from TWC in the future as it was acquired by NBC (and the Weather Underground website was recently acquired by TWC, thus is now under NBC's auspices). A decline in the Weather Underground is widely expected and bemoaned among savvy users of the site. FAIR occasionally covers things, I'm sure they'll have something on their blog and on CounterSpin (and they're also doing a video show now). Thought control, conscious and unconscious, is indeed very much present throughout the corporate media.

It's worth noting that the number of disbelievers in anthropogenic climate change among weather presenters/broadcasters is much higher than among atmospheric scientists and especially climate scientists. This is true even for those that have meteorology degrees, although many such TV/radio personalities do not possess such a background. The co-founder of The Weather Channel, John Coleman, is a staunch climate denialist and pronounces global warming as a great fabrication.

At the National Center for Atmospheric Research, University of Colorado-Boulder, and University of Oklahoma, there is increasing treatment of social sciences side of climate and society. Yale and some others do some work here, as well.