[lbo-talk] East Coast Climate War

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 04:46:15 PDT 2012

I don't think it is a fair argument either. Diamond uses comparative method to show a connection, and every comparative method is by definition selective. Researchers select cases based on their relationship to the hypothesis cf. Mills methods, which by implication leaves all other cases out. This method shows a connection but it doesn't show it's the only connection possible. Claiming that it is and then showing that it is not is unfair criticism, similar to creationist critique that evolution is only a hypothesis and not certainty. No science is certainty or for that matter explains everything, only theology and economics purport they do.

I don't think there is anything in Diamond that suggests it's a whole and a complete story. It's a partial explanation of some situations. But it's not an exclusive explanation and it may not even apply to other situations. It's not different than any other scientific explanation.