[lbo-talk] Inequality: The silly tales economists like to tell

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 09:08:14 PDT 2012

Marv: "In any case, higher education has become so ubiquitous today, that it is misleading to describe most university and professional school graduates as "intellectuals", nor do they occupy positions of power. But, as you indicated in your previous post, at this stage we're just talking past each other."

[WS:] Let me say it differently. I agree that higher education is ubiquitous and that it does not provide sufficient class distinction. Bourdieu argued that and I agree with him.

Nor to I claim that all college educated professionals occupy positions of power - this is clearly absurd. I argue that college educated professionals tend to adopt ideology that has 'elective affinity' (Max Weber's term) with the interests of power elites. This is a similar argument that Weber advanced in the "Protestant Ethics" - that Protestantism had elective affinity with the class interest of the new social class (bourgeoisie) and for that reasons adopted by that class, but as that class gained influence it became the religion adopted by wide segments of the population that were clearly not bourgeoisie. David Harvey makes a similar point in the "Brief history of neoliberalism."

So to sum it up: 1. Most college educated professionals are NOT members of power elite; but 2. Most college educated professionals adopt the ideology of entrepreneurial liberalism that has elective affinity to the interests of the power elite. 3. This provides an explanation (one of many possible) why "old style" liberal left ideologies (and parties) appealing to social solidarity and collective welfare have lost their popularity.

-- Wojtek