[lbo-talk] Inequality: The silly tales economists like to tell

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 1 10:18:37 PDT 2012

I suspect that even those (relatively few) who are in _actual_ managerial positions (i.e., near the top of the corporate structure) can be seriously considered part of the "ruling class." Very few assistants to the CFO would be able to get along even for a year were they to lose their position. Most "positions of power" in fact have only the assignment of enforcing what others have determine.

Incidentally, for 200 years the vast majority of those who have been the cutting edge of mass movements or revolutions were those usually categorized as "aristocracy of labor." Politics, meaning the politics of mass movements, require free time. Only at late stages of such movements do the "less privileged" get incorporate into the struggle.

Carrol

On
> Behalf Of Marv Gandall
> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:11 AM
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Inequality: The silly tales economists like to
tell

> On 2012-11-01, at 10:25 AM, Wojtek S wrote:
>
> > All those who masterminded and executed most, if not all, crimes
> > against humanity came from the educated professional class. Of
> > course, not everyone was an architect, but many were willing
> > cheerleaders and executioners, including intellectual giants like
> > Heidegger (Hitler sympathizer) or Hayek (Pinochet sympathizer). Or
> > promoters of psychopathic views like Nietsche or Ayn Rand. Not to
> > mention the scores of jurnos, jurists, or teachers willingly spreading
> > and executing racist, fascist and other genocidal ideas.
> >
> > So let us not forget this dark side of the intellectual class. These
> > deeds loom much more ominous than the liberal attitudes that you tend
> > to focus on. This is not meant to be anti-intellectual rant but a
> > reminder that the educated class is not a bearer of mostly liberal and
> > humanistic ideas. Give them a chance and they will be leading the
> > masses to book burning, pogroms, and crimes against the humanity.
>
> Intellectuals have been in the forefront of both revolutionary and
reactionary
> movements throughout history. I don't think you can generalize about
whether
> they are predisposed to change or reaction one way or the other. They
divide in
> times of crisis. Which way most break depends on their particular
historical
> circumstances, including their own conditions and social status and the
prevailing
> relationship of forces. But the same is also true of workers and peasants.
Alas, you