[lbo-talk] How to fix the U.S. economy

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 05:45:23 PST 2012

I don't think I've ever much used the term "reify, but it seems the term needed to describe applying "fix" to "the economy." The phrase empties both verb & object of meaning. An entity that can be "fixed" has to be something with clear & unambiguous borders: a shirt, a machine, perhaps a bone in a body, but not "an economy" or "a society" or "the waters of the earth." "Waters of the earth" is much more bounded than the economy.

Carrol

^^^^^ CB: Better to say a capitalist economy cannot be "fixed" in the sense of ending the business cycle and never having depression or crises or low growth or shrinkage of the GDP. There will always be crises with capitalism

Even more . There will always be mass unemployment, pauperism and misery , including mass imprisonment, with capitalist relations of production. This cannot be fixed , either.

Of course, Julio knows all this. He's just wearing his social democrat and professional hat.