[lbo-talk] How to fix the U.S. economy

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 08:05:31 PST 2012

On 2012-11-16, at 9:52 AM, c b wrote:

> The U.S. economy doesn't need fixing. It is doing exactly what a
> capitalist economy is supposed to work.
>
> I do recall, perhaps from a fwd on this list, that Goldman Sachs was unhappy.
>
> Carrol
>
> ^^^
> CB: ...Seems to me the cream of the crop, the top , the ritz,
> the point one percent, the monopoly bourgeosie, the men separate
> themselves from the boys, the tough who get going when the goings
> tough get tough , make their Biggest Killings in the Market in crises
> and crashes and Depressions. So, Carrol is correct. The capitalist
> economy is doing what it is supposed to do for Goldman Sachs, and
> Goldman Sachs knows to put on a frowning face mask for the public.

This implies that the inherent tendency to periodic political and economic crises of the system, such as the one we are in now, is not a subject of great concern to panicky capitalists and their political representatives which they are urgently forced to address; that the divisions between liberals and conservatives, Keynesians and Austerians, about how to fix the system are not real; that all capitalists benefit uniformly from a crisis and none are brought down by it; and that, for these reasons, workers and leftists need not pay attention to these phoney intra-class quarrels which do not affect them.

I know Carrol believes all of the above. Hard to believe Charles does also.