[lbo-talk] Catalonia secedes

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 11:20:38 PST 2012

Joanna wrote:

> If the nation state enslaves its people through austerity programs, this
> seems one way to cancel the debts: dissolve the state.

But is this really an unambiguous signal against austerity?

I recall reading an article in the German leftist paper AK that Catalonia is sort of the economic powerhouse of the Spanish state, and that one impetus of the separatist movement is a chauvinism of prosperity, with Catalonia basically not wanting to finance the rest of Spain.

A parallel would be if Bavaria or Baden-Württemberg decided to secede from Germany on the grounds that they no longer wished to finance, for example, Berlin.