[lbo-talk] Technological Change in Media

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 09:50:09 PST 2012

Fascinating. Thank you.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Hi Everyone

Following the thread on the death of cursive, I wrote a light piece on my blog .... Not promoting it, but it dealt, tangentially, with the issue of what we stand to lose or are already losing as we make the technological transitions. Check out this piece.

" In June, director Martin Scorsese tried to show his 1993 film The Age of Innocence at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. Thelma Schoonmaker, Scorsese's editor for the past 40 years and a three-time Oscar winner, called Grover Crisp, the senior VP of asset management at Sony, for a 35mm print. But Sony not only didn't have a print, it couldn't even make one. "He told me that they can't print it anymore because Technicolor in Los Angeles no longer prints film," Schoonmaker recalled. "Which means a film we made 20 years ago can no longer be printed, unless we move it to another lab—one of the few labs still making prints." Welcome to the digital world, movie version."

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/11/with-35mm-film-dead-will-classic-movies-ever-look-the-same-again/265184/

Cheers

Ismail

Ismail Lagardien