[lbo-talk] Technological Change in Media

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Nov 27 10:04:39 PST 2012

I read an article with an archivist back in the 90s who basically said that there's a big hole in their ability to recover and continue to make available to researchers material between about 1965 and "about 4 years ago" (which I presume is a sliding scale, thus 2008 today). They can deal with stuff that's 5000 years old, including conversion between variations of languages, but as soon as digital formats started gaining some traction, they were fighting a losing battle.

Anyone have some old Word Perfect files they can no longer read? You're not alone! :-)

On the other hand, using plain old ASCII text, I have my sent email going back to 1979 in a readily usable form despite having changed systems several times in the last 30 years.

Hey, even the lbo-talk archives go back to 1998 ...

/jordan