[lbo-talk] Eric Hobsbawm

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:48:02 PDT 2012

Carrol, I understand that you have vision problems, but it appears that you have reading comprehension problems as well. I specifically said that if we theorize social change, we should consider revo as a last resort solution when everything else fails. In other words, if we hypothesize solutions to social problems, revo is not a good hypothesis. Nowhere did I say that I want to predict a revo as you claim (let alone launch one, which is absurd on its face) since revos are the most idiosyncratic of all historical events, and thus fundamentally unpredictable.

This of course, did not stop writers like Gramsci (if you bother to read them) from trying to explain why actually attempted revos succeeded in one place (Russia) but failed in another (Germany, Italy) - which is a very different proposition than trying to predict one apriori. We may agree or disagree with their explanations, but ex post facto analysis of actual events is a legitimate intellectual endeavor.

-- Wojtek