[lbo-talk] Death penalty (was: Singapore)

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 08:39:57 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-04, at 9:45 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> On the other hand, I also see the focus on death penalty as a form of
> knee-jerk anti-statistm that permeates the American popular culture.
> Death penalty seems so objectionable to these folks, because it is a
> drastic action taken by the state. The level of hysteria subsidies
> when death is inflicted not by the state but by private individuals.

Actually, you must know that American popular culture continues to strongly support rather than oppose the death penalty.

The minority of liberals and others who want to abolish capital punishment most often cite as the reason for their objection that it is "morally wrong to take a life" and the unacceptable risk of wrongful conviction - neither of which can be construed as hysterical knee-jerk anti-statism. I also very much doubt they view private homicide with relatively greater equanimity, as you suggest.

See: http://www.people-press.org/2012/01/06/continued-majority-support-for-death-penalty/