[lbo-talk] Death penalty (was: Singapore)

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 09:19:03 PDT 2012

There is an empirical question here to which I do not know the answer and about which I am sure there are studies.

People I know who are anti death penalty activists and principled opponents in my experience tend to object to its racism its victimization of the poor, its reinforcement of the excessively punitive nature of criminal justice, its high error rate the risk of executing the innocent, and the lack of due process and adequate defense afforded people charged with capital crimes. Anti statism does not figure largely in my experience. I agree with these reasons given the current state of of our criminal justice system.

At the same time I favor the Chinese solution to serious white collar crimes and political corruption. "You are a Wall Street investment banker?" "Yes, but . . ." "Guilty. Death. Take him out back and shoot him. Charge the family for the bullet." (Just kidding--sort of.)

Sent from my iPad