[lbo-talk] This time it's a September Surprise on Romney

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Oct 5 12:50:43 PDT 2012

On Oct 5, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> Shane; "such a useful number "
>
> [WS:] Why is the number that discredits Obama "useful?"

Why do you say it "discredits" him any more than the other 44 uR numbers over his term? It's useful to him because a UR "decline" paints a prettier picture for that tiny part of the electorate his campaign is pitched to.

> Would you rather have President Romney?

I don't get to choose, not even if I wanted to, not even to an infinitesimal degree (I'm voting for Jill Stein, of course). Romney would perhaps get marginally worse things done, but the prospects for effective opposition mobilization might well be a bit worse under Obama. It does kind of look like Obama is "The More Effective Evil," however even that isn't clear enough to say that one of those clowns would surely be worse than the other.

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"