[lbo-talk] [SPAM_ISU] :Re: Pussy Riot Proposed for Luther Prize

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 06:57:03 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

There is no real left in Russia at the present though, as in the
> U.S. in the '80s, there are doubtless many individual leftists. In such a
> context random acts of symbolic resistance keep up human courage. Mere
> spectators, like Joanna & Joseph, can apparently exercise a merely
> aesthetic
> judgment of politics.

If that's what you call distinguishing between attracting people to one's side, and disgusting and repelling them, then yes, absolutely. I'm as guilty as Wojtek's friend in his amusing story.

I'm curious about your "no real left" claim, though. What about all these parties (some of them - I've been led to believe - fairly big), more extraparliamentary groupings, etc?