[lbo-talk] The effect of drones

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 08:23:54 PDT 2012

Both versions of the Soviet victory are correct. Once Hitler lost his chance for a quick win at both or either Leningrad and Moscow, material factors vastly favor the USSR in the long run. But as with the Union in the the US Civil War, the long run can be long, bloody, and tricky. Stalingrad was really the hinge of fate (Churchill), the destruction of a whole German Army that also closed off Nazi access to the oil in the the Caucasians and ultimately sealed the doom of the Nazis. The battle back to Berlin was still incredibly bloody and chancy. Kharkov might have turned things around again, for example. But both Soviet material superiority, backed by Lend-Lease, and the brilliant victory at Stalingrad were key.

There is simply no question that Stalin made a very hard and concerted effort to create a Soviet-Western anti-Nazi alliance in the 30s before, rebuffed, he made the Soviet-nazi Pact to buy time and steal territory. He thought he would have longer before the Nazis attacked than he did, and ignored solid and indisputable very specific evidence of the details of Barbarossa, as well as issuing destructive orders like No Step Back that came close to losing the war in the early days. But the attempted pacts with France and Britain were real and their failure, not Stalin's direct fault, a very great tragedy. They might have stopped the war altogether. We will never know.

I have seen reliable figures if up to 50 million Soviet dead, although 20-25 is probably more accurate and we will never really know. There is no question that either way the destruction visited on the FSU was Biblical in proportion and on a scale not suffered by any nation since the Mongols invaded Russia eight hundred years before, worse with modern warfare,

Sent from my iPad