[lbo-talk] The effect of drones

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 8 08:39:15 PDT 2012

It's hard for people today to realize how much real gloom there was in the U.S. in 1942 -- and it was more or less realistic gloom. Had the Germans broken through at Stalingrad and at El Alamein -- both real possibilities -- the last 60 years would have been quite different. I still remember quite vividly Gabriel Heater's news broadcast on the eve of El Alamein.

Carrol

On
> Behalf Of andie_nachgeborenen
> Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 10:24 AM
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The effect of drones
>
> Both versions of the Soviet victory are correct. Once Hitler lost his
chance for a
> quick win at both or either Leningrad and Moscow, material factors vastly
favor
> the USSR in the long run. But as with the Union in the the US Civil War,
the long
> run can be long, bloody, and tricky. Stalingrad was really the hinge of
fate
> (Churchill), the destruction of a whole German Army that also closed off
Nazi
> access to the oil in the the Caucasians and ultimately sealed the doom of
the
> Nazis. The battle back to Berlin was still incredibly bloody and chancy.
Kharkov
> [...]
>
> There is simply no question that Stalin made a very hard and concerted
effort to
> create a Soviet-Western anti-Nazi alliance in the 30s before, rebuffed, he
made
> the Soviet-nazi Pact to buy time and steal territory. He thought he would
have
> longer before the Nazis attacked than he did, and ignored solid and
indisputable
> very specific evidence of the details of Barbarossa, as well as issuing
destructive
> orders like No Step Back that came close to losing the war in the early
days. But
> the attempted pacts with France and Britain were real and their failure,
not Stalin's
> direct fault, a very great tragedy. They might have stopped the war
altogether.
> We will never know.
>
> I have seen reliable figures if up to 50 million Soviet dead, although
20-25 is
> probably more accurate and we will never really know. There is no question
that
> either way the destruction visited on the FSU was Biblical in proportion
and on a
> scale not suffered by any nation since the Mongols invaded Russia eight
hundred
> years before, worse with modern warfare,
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 8, 2012, at 9:54 AM, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>

> > Thank you all for the responses to my question(s) on the below thread.
> >
> > -ravi
> >

> > On Sep 28, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Mark DeLucas <mkdelucas at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know very well the history of the lead-up to the Hitler-Stalin
pact
> >> (if that's what you're referring to), but as to the significance of the
> >> USSR's involvement in defeating Nazi -- uncontroversially, it was
decisive.
> >> Western material aid to the USSR was important, but the latter's
success in
> >> transporting the bulk of its industry east of the Urals, and therefore
> >> beyond the reach of the German army, was more or less sufficient to
meeting
> >> the long-term armament needs of the Red Army -- the sheer size of which
the
> >> German's had little long-term chance of overcoming. Indeed, the true
> >> turning point of the war, I've always thought, was the failure of the
> >> Wehrmacht's final push on Moscow in late 1941; having failed in what
has to
> >> be considered their only good chance of effecting the collapse of the
> >> Soviet regime, the Germans were thereafter (from '42 to '45) fated to
be
> >> ground down by the overwhelming manpower and material might of the USSR
> >> (and, of course, tipping the scales further, the United States).

India