[lbo-talk] Bounty offered in Pakistan activist shooting

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 11:31:55 PDT 2012

Andie: " I would guess that it reflects the injured self worth of poor people in a patriarchal culture rather than an attempt to establish superiority of rank"

[WS:] Definitely. It is about standing not ranking - you either stand or you fall, there is no gradation. My wife gives me almost daily accounts of the "dissing" games her students in the so-called "ghetto high school" play. They constantly challenge (diss) each other and are invariably willing to pick up fights to ward off those challenges, but definitely no ranking.

On the one hand, I tend to believe it is the matter of "injured self" as most of these kids suffered all kinds of abuses throughout their lives (according to my wife who knows their histories.) But otoh there is definitely a "macho culture" that encourages this type of behavior independently of any childhood abuse. If you listen to a "locker room talk" of males who did not suffer any kind of abuse, you will hear a more or less the same thing.

-- Wojtek