[lbo-talk] Bounty offered in Pakistan activist shooting

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 10:25:24 PDT 2012

Sounds right. Pure Nietzsche, with attention to women. What are called honor killings today or the formerly explicitly acknowledged cheating defense to murder, still respected in fact in many places, don't reflect the sort of honor at stake between Achilleus and Agamemnon (with Briseus as a prize) or between medieval knights. The conception of honor is totally different. If I were to speculate I would guess that it reflects the injured self worth of poor people in a patriarchal culture rather than an attempt to establish superiority of rank by risking all in mortal combat and winning (Hegel's version). One peasant's honor is not greater than another if all their wives, daughters, and sisters are virtuous by their standard. They can as it were lose honor but not gain it. We live in a post-Honor culture, and a good thing too.

Sent from my iPad