[lbo-talk] Romantic comedies...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 15:52:40 PDT 2012

I like where you're going with this...a healthy dollop of Kate! I'll add Philadelphia Story and The Awful Truth (a little love for Irene Dunne too...)

I had Philadelphia Story on the list, but decided it was more romantic than comic, so I took it off. Awful Truth was fun.

But I'll add an extra thumbs up for Ball of Fire and Hot Millions. Ball of Fire is a snow white meets the seven dwarves story; chanteuse hides out with seven professors writing an encyclopedia. Barbara Stanwick and Gary Cooper. Fantastic dialog. Solo by Gene Krupa. Hot Millions is a romance between an embezzler (Peter Ustinov) and a bumbler (Maggie Smith) with the best ending of any movie ever. I gave a copy to Doug as a wedding present, otherwise, it is unfindable. Be nice to Doug, maybe he'll lend it to you. I don't think it ever made it to DVD. Also starring Bob Newhart.

If you're headed for the video store, I'll add that the best movies of 2011 were "A Separation" and "Shame." Neither are romantic comedies. Shame is not for kids.

Bundle up,

Joanna