[lbo-talk] and then there's always war movies....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 30 09:28:08 PDT 2012

I'd better check with others my memory of All Quiet... It's been over 50 years since I saw it. Very near the end, the sergeant is carrying a wounded man slung over his back. One sees, very small, an airplane in the upper corner of the screen, then hears the soft rattle of machine gun fire. The sergeant trudges on, unaware that the wounded man is now dead. Then in a few moments the final episode of soldier, butterfly, & sniper. Is this correct?

Assuming it is correct, put Yeats's airman in that plane, expressing himself in his pointless slaughter of a wounded man after the ear is, in material fact, over: and for the Airman that slaughter was pointless _and known to be_ from the beginning:

Those that I fight I do not hate, Those that I guard I do not love;

I am always reluctant to use the word, "fascist," but I think Andie's application of it here is valid.

There is a sort of horror also implicit in Yeats's "terrible beauty": The Easter Rebellion was _also_ a cry of protest against The War, and as such the 16 dead men stand with Debs & Luxemburg & Lenin against that 'terrible' slaughter. It's achingly beautiful, & equally vile.

Carrol

On
> Behalf Of madhavan kutty Nandeilath
> Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:17 AM
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] and then there's always war movies....
>
> A terrible beauty as Yeats himself put it.
>
> On 10/30/12, andie_nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > This is beautiful the way Reifenstahl is beautiful, I have to agree with
> > Carroll. It _is_ beautiful. And deeply fascistic. I prefer 1919 myself.
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> > On Oct 29, 2012, at 12:44 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> >
> >> I could not help but fall in love with Yeats' poems: here's Irish
Airman