[lbo-talk] on circumcision

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Sun Sep 2 17:02:39 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> This was from the MRA - men's rights activist - crowd. *shrug*

Good point. I. hate. MRAs. Those Special Forces of patriarchy. My concerns were about babies and ageism, not males older than 1 month. Their use of this issue makes me hesitate to mention it again. I mean, child abuse is a far, far worse problem.

None of this "But what about the menz!?" derailing for me.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> 3. "Genital mutilation" is a strong term. I see a difference between getting rid of a foreskin and getting rid of the clitoris/vulva and sewing the vagina shut.

Hmm, I can see why that helpful female (mentioned earlier) preemptively informed me that such things like "pharaonic circumcision" aren't the only kind of female circumcision. (One of her examples was removal of "only" the clitoral hood, which too is genital mutilation.) Apparently when you try to bring up "our" genital mutilation — taking knife to genitals — people bring up "their" 3rd world mutilation. (Regardless how we westerners have an interest in maintaining regressive elements in those countries, or kill many of their children via military or economic means.)

Anyway, on one hand this topic is used by MRAs; and on the other hand, I believe it brings out ageism in adults. Feeling tired and sick to my stomach. Sorry for participating in this. I'm out.

Tj