[lbo-talk] on circumcision

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 04:41:26 PDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM, andie_nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Why have you read a lot of this stuff? You know it's neuropsychologically impossible for a newborn to be scarred by, comprehend, or remember anything that happens in the first few months of life. Birth itself would be far more traumatic than circumcision, so we'd all have PTSD, right?

I've run into similar claims in discussions of circumcision, also claims that certain men felt "butchered" in their current state, as well as first hand accounts of adult circumcisions where they didn't understand what the fuss was about. I was snipped as a baby, by dint of being an American male of a certain age, and was startled by the fury around the subject.

I think the strongest case against might be that STIs shouldn't be an issue until you can make your own decision, but then I can't imagine being 12 or 13 and having that question posed, much less seeking it out. Plus having to leave the organ alone for a week or two while it heals -- my heavens, you wouldn't be able to think straight. John Kellogg advocated circumcision for preventing masturbation (something you hear about a lot in these forums), to no avail I can assure you.

-- Andy