[lbo-talk] Lefty library of pdfs

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 00:54:36 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM, andie_nachgeborenen < andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

It's not fair use, it's just blatant copyright infringement. I'm with Doug
> on this one. Maybe copyright is immoral, certainly wage labor is, but if I
> work for free I want it to be when I agree to do so, and this side of the
> Revo I do need a job. Why are writers any different? Don't people see a
> problem here?

Morally? Sure, I'll go along with that.

Practically, I think the cat's out of the bag. As I've said here before, the Internet is full of BitTorrents for any file - audio, video, text, etc. - in sufficient demand. And the only defense against it is unpopularity.

Barring industrial collapse, this won't change.

So it's fine to think, as you do, about how publishing *should* work, but at some point you'll run into the cold, hard facts of how it *does.* This includes, and will continue to include, massive piracy.