[lbo-talk] Thomas Szasz, R.I.P.

Miles Jackson milesvjackson at comcast.net
Thu Sep 13 20:54:19 PDT 2012

Wojtek S wrote:

>Did not he argue that schizophrenia was a "socially constructed"
>illness that has no neurological basis. More recent research shows it
>does (see below.)

No, he didn't--at least not in any of his books that I read! Like almost all psychological disorders, schizophrenia is influenced by a complex interaction of biological and social factors. Twin studies make that abundantly clear: the concordance rate for schizophrenia in identical twins is 50-60%, so being a genetic clone of a schizophrenic increases my risk of schizophrenia, but psychological and environmental factors must also be important (otherwise the concordance rate would be 100%). In any case, this has no bearing on Szasz's central argument that the labelling and treatment of psychological disorders is primarily a mechanism for social control.

Miles