[lbo-talk] Thomas Szasz, R.I.P.

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Sep 16 13:04:02 PDT 2012

going ballistic? That's a weird characterization of a book you didn't read and which certainly doesn't comport with what I wrote.

My point, where you snipped my words was this: doctors tell me point blank that, unfortunately, they are alloted 15 minutes to see a patient. This doctor pointed out that one reason for the medical establishment's reliance on pills and the ease with which they've been co-opted by the pharmaceutical industry is a system of health insurance that punishes physicians for spending more than 10-15 minutes with a patient. As grace loehr pointed out to me, 15 minutes is a luxury. Most physcians are expected to push 6 or more patients through an hour. Colin Brace, an lbo member, has pointed out that it's the same in the netherlands.

Therefore, it is unlikely that the mental disability activists who are working against the 'give 'em a pill' model of medicine are going to get the treatment they need because no one wants to give them psychiatric treatment, which would require attentive ministrations from a psychiatrists. Rather, they are more likely to get a pill which takes ten minutes to dispense. Most of these medications, once thought to be like "insulin for diabetics" (exact quote from marketing lit some years ago) have turned out to be dangerous to patients and to the general public - everything from sleeping pills to medicine used to treat the bogus "active bladder syndrome".