[lbo-talk] Thomas Szasz, R.I.P.

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 20:44:33 PDT 2012

Child and domestic abuse are causes, not effects. Depression is an effect. You wouldn't say, no, you don't have a broken arm. You are subject to domestic violence. Likewise with depression.

I was astounded to discover that hysteria, which I thought to be pre-WWI, is not entirely dead as a diagnosis. The one good thing about that diagnosis a century or more ago was the legitimacy that it gave to women's sexual needs and the boost it gave to what we now call the sex toy industry. The first vibrators were medical implements used in the "treatment" of hysteria.

Sent from my iPad