[lbo-talk] Thomas Szasz, R.I.P.

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Sep 16 07:13:45 PDT 2012

Actually, the author of the book I posted about is arguing that the disease model, long advanced as a "useful prop" and more humane, turns out to be just as inhumane and horrid for sufferers. He's basically arguing against the claim that there has been a necessary "progress" in treatment simply because the "disease" model is operative.

To the contrary, his argument (which is actually voicing an argument made by a faction of mental disability activists themselves) is that the labeling we use now combined with debilitating drugs treats people as incapable of participating in work, family, and community and they come to see themselves as incapable as well.

The problem is, they're never going to get help to do anything otherwise and get better treatment, unless they do it themselves because the medical community is married to the Feed 'em a Pill Model. As my doctor told me: "Sorry, I have 15 minutes for you. Let's focus on one thing. It's just the way it is. That's why most doctors will write a prescription and send you home. I don't like it, but this is the way it is."

As Grace said, (and even someone from the Netherlands said): 15 minutes with a patient is on the "high" side. Lucky he even spent that long with me.