[lbo-talk] Chicago mayor takes legal action over strike

andie_nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 09:56:51 PDT 2012

I'm not sure I see your point here. suggested that judicial conservatism is a shield against a reactionary court and for progressive legislation. I said it is a big problem that we have an activist, right wing Supreme Court. Given that you agree about this, why say that judicial conservatism is only good in an ideal world? Do you want more judicial activism of the sort that you describe?

I think it is not so much the judiciary as other features of the US Constitution that limit the passage of progressive law, such as the entrenched two senator per state rule. Most law in this country is not federal, however, and state constitutions and judiciaries as well as legislatures pose different issues. Prop 13 was a state ballot initiative, and no one would call it progressive, but that is a source of law not available at the federal level. And constitutional law cases are very rare at the federal level and fairly to very rare at the state level.

By the legal framework of the country, do you mean the federal constitution? But that is not a source of or limitation on most law that we have. Generally speaking we have a common law system, created by wealthy English judges long before the Constitution, even if we rely a lot more on legislation and a lot less on judge made law.

Sent from my iPad