[lbo-talk] Chicago mayor takes legal action over strike

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:44:27 PDT 2012

Andie: "It's not a bad thing for thew judiciary to be judicially conservative, deciding cases in a limited way, and leaving it for the legislature to make the law."

[WS:] Agreed, in the ideal world. But this is the United States, where constitution - or perhaps the inability to modernize it http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/us/we-the-people-loses-appeal-with-people-around-the-world.html?_r=2&ref=us - severely limits passage of progressive laws. Even if mildly progressive legislation does pass from time to time, it is later gutter by the judiciary as "unconstitutional" (cf. the medicaid provision of Obamacare or Proposition 103 in California). I am pretty convinced that if Obamacare had a public health care provision it would be struck down as "unconstitutional" in no time. It goes beyond a few reactionary SCOTUS justices - it is the fact that the legal framework of this country was designed by 18th century slave owners and businessmen to protect their property and has not changed very much since then,

-- Wojtek