[lbo-talk] Chicago mayor takes legal action over strike

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 19:24:38 PDT 2012

It's not a bad thing for thew judiciary to be judicially conservative, deciding cases in a limited way, and leaving it for the legislature to make the law. Right now we have judicially activist right wing U.S. Supreme Court, and that is not a good thing. If the judges were judicially conservative, their radical political political views would matter a lot less. State courts are a whole different matter from federal courts -- 50 different matters. But any court has to work with what the legislature gives it, apart from the rare (state or federal) constitutional case. If the legislature gives judges progressive law, they have a lot further to go to twist it back to the right, if that is where they want to go.

From: Gar Lipow <gar.lipow at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 6:41 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Chicago mayor takes legal action over strike

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not the main point here. The judicial system is slanted against
> reform, period. Anyone, or rather any employer, can use it to this end.
>
> Wojtek

In this particular  case not only is the executive seeking an injunction, he is doing so on the basis of a recently passed law. I don't see how you blame that primarily on the judiciary. In general, I don't disagree that the judiciary is the most reactionary branch of government. But this is a case where the judiciary is being asked for an injunction allowing the executive to enforce a bad law the legislature has recently passed. So a really bad example.