[lbo-talk] International Topless Jihad Day

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 12:09:08 PDT 2013

These categories of invective/analysis are often found in clusters, but a surprising amount of confusion is caused when they don't line up so neatly on opposing sides. Thus one brand of anti-traditionalist disapproves of the tactic (women showing breasts in public) of another brand of anti-traditionalist, claiming that it only reinforces patriarchy. (From the left, it looks as if this is especially true of the left, but that may be an illusion.)

When you add the tendency of people not to listen very carefully to the words of someone whose actions they disapprove of (the claim that Femen thinks all Muslim women should reveal their breasts in public, for example), you get one of the kinds of nonsense sadly pervasive in the blogosphere. (Similarly, this mistake sometimes looks more characteristic of the right, but it probably isn't.)