[lbo-talk] No rights for Tsarnaev?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Apr 22 12:03:09 PDT 2013

Doug writes:

> He just dispensed with the Miranda warning, using a "public safety
> exception" his administration invented.

I always think of this exception as the Jack Bauer Exception. And don't forget, Jack Bauer has Scalia on his side:

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/06/20/justice-scalia-hearts-jack-bauer/

[...]

The Globe and Mail reported that Scalia came to the defense of Jack Bauer and his torture tactics during an Ottawa conference of international jurists and national security officials last week. During a panel discussion about terrorism, torture and the law, a Canadian judge remarked, "Thankfully, security agencies in all our countries do not subscribe to the mantra 'What would Jack Bauer do?' "

Justice Scalia responded with a defense of Agent Bauer, arguing that law enforcement officials deserve latitude in times of great crisis. "Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles . . . . He saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Judge Scalia reportedly said. "Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?" He then posed a series of questions to his fellow judges: "Say that criminal law is against him? 'You have the right to a jury trial?' Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer?"

"I don't think so," Scalia reportedly answered himself. "So the question is really whether we believe in these absolutes. And ought we believe in these absolutes."

[...]

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/search/?q=jack+bauer+scalia

/jordan