[lbo-talk] No rights for Tsarnaev?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 12:17:46 PDT 2013

Doug: "Presumption of innocence, right to counsel"

[WS:] They exist whether Miranda warning is recited, no? If the cops do not recite this prayer, you confess and that is the only thing they have on you, they cannot get a conviction, and if they do, it will almost certainly be overturned. If, otoh, they caught you with a smoking gun in hand, you will get convicted on that evidence alone, regardless of what you say or do not say. In such a case, Miranda is a red herring to stir up a controversy, because otherwise it is inconsequential.

Wojtek