[lbo-talk] Slate: "In College Admissions, Affirmative Action and Its Critics Both Have The Same Problem"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 13 09:00:24 PDT 2013

Joseph Catron

> Your thoughts?
>
> " That unfairness permeates the entire system. And because the
> system is unfair, there's no way to incorporate race (or not incorporate
> it) or to replace race with class or geography or anything else that will
> produce a fair outcome."

"Fairness" is not a very useful political concept. And no amount of ethical posturing is going to change the relations described here. It is also "unfair," I presume, that in a Budapest restaurant I encounter a waitress that understands English but there probably is no one there who understands or speaks (say) Estonian. So?

Can anyone here write the agitational leaflet which will provoke a few million u.s. citizens to take to the streets to demand that NYC community college students be admitted, free of charge, to UC Berkeley?

Carrol