[lbo-talk] Slate: "In College Admissions, Affirmative Action and Its Critics Both Have The Same Problem"

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Aug 13 10:59:21 PDT 2013

Can anyone here write the agitational leaflet which will provoke a few million u.s. citizens to take to the streets to demand that NYC community college students be admitted, free of charge, to UC Berkeley? --------------------

Would that necessarily be an improvement?

Outside of the sciences, in terms of what an eighteen year old can assimilate, classes at a jr college might do just as well. My daughter is currently in jr. college. Not one of her classes has more than thirty students in it. The teachers are pretty radical. That is no longer the case at U.C. She is very enthusiastic about school and very intellectually alive -- reads widely outside of school. I think jr college has encouraged this.

I go to U.C. Berkeley quite often, either to use the library or to go to their film archive. It's actually kind of depressing. Students look blinkered, anxious, determined...but I have not seen a single outdoor speaker. I have seen no flyers about political meetings. Everyone is riding the tricycle of their careers.

This is definitely not the U.C. Berkeley I attended. Other than the status it confers, I wonder what the advantages would be.

Joanna