[lbo-talk] Contradictions of contemporary working class consciousness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 14 12:40:08 PDT 2013

Michael is quite correct. I want to add an essential element of that bourgeois ideology: the conviction on the part of workers that they are powerless.

What distinguished the '60s was the very nearly spontaneous assumption, which lasted only a few years, that the world could be changed by what we did. My radicalization was hurried, if not triggered, by rather non-political activity within the English Department: we began more and more to enjoy talking about ways in which we could usefully change department policy or affect teaching conditions. Someone eventually will write a huge volume, perhaps a multi-volume work, on the events from 1945 to 1960 that (behind our backs as it were) generated this social 'atmosphere' characterized by the assumption that what we did made a difference. And this carried over into the movements in which some of us participated: we found ourselves in action, on the assumption that it would make a difference, and when that action met with resistance, quite a few of us turned revolutionary.

A speculative suggestion: All serious mass movements, whatever their stated goals, have only one goal: freedom, and that goal is defined in the process of seeking it.

Carrol

It is