[lbo-talk] Contradictions of contemporary working class consciousness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 14 13:12:25 PDT 2013

In the late '60s and early '70s activists increasingly started complaining about "too many meetings." Perhaps there were, but I suspect the complaint's substance was that "the movement" was reaching its outer limits -- that that old bugaboo "objective conditions" was taking control, and the objection was not to too many meetings but to lack of results from those meetings. After all, normal "leisure" is in fact a series of meetings -- only we call them "parties," "weddings," "coffee breaks," "nights out with the [boys/girls], picnics, Christmas Dinners, and so forth. From (roughly) 1963-68 "meetings" were a hoot: they were the best part of life; they were living. And then the world began to turn grim. Meetings became a chore, one more factoid damning "the left." (Perhaps the best literary expression of this is The Odyssey -- "meetings" constitute its vision of beatitude (until, for example, Odysseus rudely interrupts the daily "meetings" of the suitors). Telemachus calls a meeting and obviously everyone enjoys it greatly. Then the Telemachiad climaxes in a "meeting" at the palace of Menelaus. Nausicaa with her maids doing the laundry.