[lbo-talk] Irrelevance of Intelligence RE: Check your privilege?

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 00:41:53 PDT 2013

`>The original point that attacks on GWB's intelligence and gaffes were reactionary is true, nonetheless.

The intelligence yes. The gaffes actually revealed something interesting. Bush was what in parts of the Southwest was called a "mess" . Not as in messy but as in someone who messes with your mind by saying everything in jokey tone without making many actual jokes. That way if later it is advantageous not to have said said something, well he (almost always a he) was only joking. On the other hand he can always claim to have been completely serious, cause everyone knows he says serious stuff in that tone.

Not a sign of stupidity. Not easy to pull off. But even if you are clever, it takes a lot of power (and dare I say privilege) to get away with that. A boss can keep doing that. A worker who answers to someone else will get fired pulling that shit. To be a "mess" in that sense is have power and to continually abuse it, even beyond the norm of the kind of abuse people with power habitually dole out.