[lbo-talk] with a whimper, not a bang

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 04:49:07 PST 2013

On Sunday, December 8, 2013, John Gulick wrote:

> Given the "antiquated" nature of the listserv format, it would be foolish
> to assert that the vanishing of lbo-talk is equivalent to the vanishing of
> the left public sphere. But the left public sphere does seem to be at a low
> ebb at the moment, a theme that both Fisher and Scialabba address. Nearly
> every development of late ems to validate holding a jaundiced point of
> view. Mr Ebay buys up left-leaning journalists. DeBlasio wins and appoints
> Broken Windows guy police boss.

Such fucking despair. In my browser tabs right now I have open articles about militant student-worker protests in the UK, indigenous protests against the expansion of petrochemical rents in Canada, and people chaining themselves to buses to prevent deportations in the US. And of course there is a lot more.

But I guess if you are correlating the left with success in electoral politics, you do have reason to despair.