[lbo-talk] Bloch quote on FB

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 9 09:18:18 PST 2013

I almost never read stuff on consumers & consumption, so I don't have the slightest idea who Malcolm Emerich is or what he stands for.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Andy Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 10:03 AM To: lbo Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Bloch quote on FB

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> A commenter added the source, and some more quote:
>
> Akilano Akiwumi-Assani
>
> p.467, The Principle of Hope v.II, 'Malthus, birth-rate, nourishment' -
> and the preceding passage - "All in all, even without grotesque visions,
> every organic desire for improvement remains up in the air if the social
> one is not acknowledged and taken into account. Health is a social
concept,
> exactly like the organic existence in general of human beings, as human
> beings. Thus it can only be meaningfully increased at all if the life in
> which it stands is not itself overcrowded with anxiety, deprivation and
> death" Bloch wrote the Principle of Hope in Cambridge Mass during the
Great
> Depression ('38-'47) , he was blacklisted and his wife, an architect,
ended
> up working in kitchens to support them. Scuppie rustica consumer
> sovereignty movements are nauseating against such a backdrop.

I have no argument with the last bit, at least insofar as those movements are supposed to substitute politics. But I think Malcolm Emerich's quip about "war on christmas style food posts" captures something. And for the record I am not, nor have I ever been, a vegetarian.