[lbo-talk] Bloch quote on FB

Arthur Maisel arthurmaisel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 12:39:35 PST 2013

*Foodie* I think means something more like *food enthusiast* or *food hobbyist* than either *gourmet* or *gourmande* (obviously, a foodie could be one or the other or neither).

Having a hobby probably demands a skewing of priorities that is petit bourgeouis in the sense of being alienated, though maybe it's not how much money you have so much as how much of the money you have you are willing to devote to your hobby that determines how skewed (Bloch's "odd") it is.

But there's no reason not to enjoy the good things in life to the extent you can as long as the enjoyment doesn't blind you to reality---left Puritans who can't enjoy a glass of wine without being guilty that someone else doesn't have it are no better than any other kind of Puritans, including health Puritans. It's the (ideological) acceptance of (alienated) consumption as a source of social meaning---rather than mere pleasure---that's at fault; false consciousness, in other words. Don't you cringe when someone says, "How can I, *as a consumer*, improve the world?"?

P.S. I wish *scuppie* (Socially Conscious + yuppie) had been formed instead from *scruple + yuppie *(*scruppie*?).