[lbo-talk] with a whimper, not a bang

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 09:40:08 PST 2013

As to political organizing by social media, this is just one facebook page. We are about to deliver a big backlash blow to the goddamn tea Republicans who passed a rape insurance law on Michigan's women:

Rochelle Noel

Dusting off my clipboards . . .

"There could be a statewide petition drive to repeal the measure, which Michigan Planned Parenthood lobbyist Meghan Groen discussed for the first time this week. She believes a majority of voters oppose this. And as for the repeal petition drive move, 'It's something that we very much believe we could do and could win.'"

Tim Skubick: The abortion insurance issue isn't going anywhere soon, despite legislative passage www.mlive.com "Women are watching. Women will hold their legislators accountable for their actions in Lansing," says a Planned Parenthood spokesperson. Unlike · · Share · Stop Notifications · December 12 at 11:22pm

You, Patricia Dowling, Marty Townsend, Brittany Myers and 19 others like this. Marty Townsend They are clueless if they think that MPP would have to spend millions to PAY for the signatures. I would venture a guess that the majority of the people in this group would work to support this petition drive. I know I would. December 12 at 11:26pm via mobile · Edited · Unlike · 13 David Roof I've got my clip boards and boots ready. December 12 at 11:41pm · Unlike · 10 Stephanie Kerns I'll help. I live downriver (south of Detroit for those not in the Detroit area). December 13 at 8:57am via mobile · Edited · Unlike · 8 Robert Gordon Right there with you. December 13 at 8:59am · Unlike · 7 David Roof Only 130,000 needed. This should be able to happen fast. December 13 at 9:02am · Unlike · 5 Robert Gordon Only 130k? Relative childs' play December 13 at 9:06am · Like · 5 Robert Gordon David, from where does that number arise? December 13 at 9:07am · Like · 2 David Roof I can't recall which story I read that in. Let me see if I can find it. December 13 at 9:07am · Like · 2 Robert Gordon Seems implausibly low December 13 at 9:08am · Like · 4 Marty Townsend I thought it was 161k? But still small potatoes. Richard Miller and Michael Rains could do that pittance by themselves in a couple of weeks! December 13 at 9:14am via mobile · Unlike · 9 Eowyn Kay I have clipboards and I'm not afraid to use them. I'm in the Southfield area. December 13 at 9:45am · Like · 9 Jan BenDor Watch Sen. Whitmer on TRMS: http://www.msnbc.com/.../rape-victim-battles-repugnant... Rape victim battles 'repugnant' abortion law State Sen. Gretchen Whitmer, (D) Michigan, talks with Rachel Maddow about female...See More December 13 at 10:45am · Unlike · 6 Marty Townsend I have at least ten clipboards if anyone needs one. December 13 at 11:26am · Like · 7 Jan BenDor If we are going to circulate one petition, we might as well do two and repeal right to work. This joint effort would multiply the boots on the ground. December 13 at 11:28am · Like · 9 Robert Gordon I have at least a half dozen clipboards floating around, too. December 13 at 11:32am · Like · 6 Patricia Dowling I have clipboards. December 13 at 11:58am · Like · 3 Susan Dailey Rochelle, please see my post below from Michigan NOW. December 13 at 11:59am · Like · 3 Jennifer Olmstead Ranieri [several clipboards in tow!] December 13 at 12:47pm · Like · 4 Eric Hurt these extreme religious fanatics have opened a can of worms for vagina references for the next several months. Let's win this! December 13 at 1:13pm · Like · 3 Stephanie Kerns Eowyn Kay, we are within a half hour of each other if you want to coordinate. Heather Sullivan-Mac Phail, we are within a short drive five days a week. December 13 at 3:42pm via mobile · Like · 7 Rochelle Noel I the passion in this group! Let's get 'em! December 13 at 3:45pm · Like · 6 Robert Gordon I don't like much the thought of canvassing in winter. But what the heck. The issue is worth cold fingers. December 13 at 3:47pm · Like · 4 Eric Hurt I think we need commercials and mass signing events. Every politician running for reelection this year could film their signing and reach the masses for 2 birds. Also, a very awkward birds and bees discussion with a 12 yr old to put a face on this. I imagine any lady could get 100 signatures when out on the town. December 13 at 4:04pm via mobile · Like · 5 Heather Sullivan-Mac Phail I'm willing to travel! I have clip boards!!! December 13 at 4:07pm via mobile · Like · 6 Pam Kirchen I'll join local folks in the area or elsewhere. When will petition be out? December 13 at 8:26pm · Like · 6 Michael Rains 20 clipboards from the good ol' days repealing the emerg manager law, a repeal disregarded by this corrupt, criminal regime in MI. This new attack on women, following the affront to MI workers is an outrage. December 13 at 9:54pm · Like · 8 Kelly Weaver I would love a great cause like this to pull my petition kit out of the closet! December 13 at 9:57pm · Like · 6 Stephanie Kerns I have several friends locally who want to help with this effort, so when we start putting boots on the ground, I have a small group. December 14 at 4:10pm · Like · 6 Susan Dailey So, I know during the recall (yes we didn't get it on the ballot, but we got a boatload of signatures) we did get help from some union local offices. I don't see that they would have an interest in this battle, but I am wondering what networks throughout the state would have local offices where they would have the petitions, especially in this weather? And can we get the MDP on this? Enlist every single chapter that will support it, which I think would be almost all. Any other groups that have a statewide presence and offices? Thoughts? December 14 at 4:37pm · Like · 2 Eric Hurt @ Susan. I believe Michigan now! (post 10 below) would be one source. Of course Planned Parenthood and Occupy Detroit. Yes, they are still quite active. December 14 at 4:47pm · Like · 3 Patricia Dowling I asked that Desiree Cooper be added to Michigan Petitioners. I imagine she knows a lot about who our allies are and how to get this petition drive going.... December 14 at 4:50pm · Like Susan Dailey Thx Eric...this is of course assuming that a drive goes forward...but seems like there is a lot of positive energy. December 14 at 4:51pm · Like · 1 Jan BenDor 1. Draft petition language 2. Submit to State Bd. of Canvassers for approval 3. Design petitions for maximum effectiveness (this is not simple, as we learned in the recall 4. Raise money for the first print run and for mailing/delivery of petitions to distribution points. 5. Organize county coordination, establish a command center, and set up a schedule of bench mark dates, pulling in petitions every two weeks to maintain accurate numbers. 6. Set up a secure processing center with the right software (NOT the VAN) and train trusted volunteers to number, scan, and verify names on petitions, against voter database ($24 from the SOS for all 7 M names). We created this software for Recall 2.0--it needs some modification for this type of petition, if we can recruit someone with Sequel programming skills. 7. Original petitions boxed and stored in a secure vault, ready to deliver to the SOS. December 14 at 5:59pm · Like · 6 Susan Dailey Thank you Jan...what a well organized and useful list. December 14 at 6:01pm · Like · 2 Jan BenDor One reason we incorporated Michigan Rising and are working to build it as a 501C3, is so we can provide technical support to progressive petition drives. Until now, almost every drive reinvented the wheel, and the lessons were learned too late. Marty and I have notes and drafts for a training manual. We would also license the software and configure the equipment. December 14 at 6:11pm · Like · 5 Robert Gordon I believe it up to Planned Parenthood to captain this ship. December 14 at 7:43pm · Like · 2 Mary Aldecoa Marty Townsend and Jan: Feeling just a bit nostalgic lately, so I would like to give you both a long overdue thank you for your unbelievable efforts to recall Slick Rick. It was this effort that set me on the path that I have followed for the past three years December 14 at 8:15pm · Like · 5 Marty Townsend We are all in this together, Mary. None of us is better than any other - but as a group we are phenomenal and formidable. December 14 at 8:27pm · Edited · Like · 5 Susan Dailey So Jan & Marty...it looks like Michigan NOW is still in the question about going forward with a petition drive against the rape insurance law. I am wondering if you would consider contacting them and consider offering your expertise. Additionally, I think that it would be good to consider what other large well networked groups would join in...like the MDP, Planned Parenthood, any other Michigan women's groups and any groups that could provide indoor signing locations. Also might want to consider which national groups would be willing to help out with funds, other kinds of help, like NARAL, Center for Reproductive Rights, etc. Best/S 12 hours ago · Like · 2 Rochelle Noel I can't even imagine why there's a question. Not only would it benefit us by getting the issue on the ballot, but it would also draw larger numbers to the polls in November. Behold the power of community organizing! We can do this. Besides, I'm itching to circulate some petitions. 12 hours ago · Edited · Like · 6 Betsy Coffia Emily Kellogg Magner want to be sure you are in on this. 12 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2 Betsy Coffia Cindy Brief-Tomlinson, Kevin Kevin Skarnulis, Fran Cullen, Amy Amy Kerr Hardin... 12 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2 Rochelle Noel Betsy - Michigan NOW hasn't committed to doing this yet. They need to be "pushed." https://www.facebook.com/MichiganNOW/posts/696218073736086 12 hours ago · Like · 2 Betsy Coffia I'm on it. 12 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2 Betsy Coffia Rochelle Noel, can you post this to the new Women for Michigan page? I think a lot of people there aren't on Michigan NOW but would absolutely weigh in if asked. My phone won't let me repost. 11 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1 Betsy Coffia Everybody, please follow the link to the Michigan NOW post on whether to move ahead (Rochelle Shared link just above this) and say Yes!!!!!! 11 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2 Richard Miller Rochelle Noel I so agree...the time we were collecting was so much fun. I felt like I had a family and I was the show off big brother. I do miss Michigan...but not the snow and not the Snyder! 11 hours ago · Like · 2 Susan Dailey Thank you Betsy..and I would like to point out that as I think this is a closed group, Michigan NOW and any other groups have no idea about what is posted here and the people who are ready to pick up the clipboard. And speaking of which, Rochelle, I...See More 5 hours ago · Edited · Like · 2 Marty Townsend Added my two cents worth to Michigan NOWs thread. 5 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1 Amy Kerr Hardin Yeah, Betsy, Kevin, Marty, Jan, Rochelle, Susan, Robert, and all others -- I believe it is the same as our repeal of PA-4 -- we needed 161,000 signatures plus a nice cushion. It is likely MPP and NOW will coalition-build and form a BQC. Things to keep ...See More 4 hours ago · Like · 4 Susan Dailey They were allowed to petition in church? Guess Hester should have spared herself the boat trip. Thx Amy and let's hope you and Skubnick (not one of my favorites) are right. And even though it is mostly symbolic, I say go for it..Let them see who they are dealing with/s 3 hours ago · Like · 2 Marty Townsend Plenty of friendly churches in Detroit that abhor this law. They are not pro-abortion by any means, but they are pro-choice. 3 hours ago via mobile · Like · 4 Robert Gordon Could get plenty of sigs at my local Unitarian Universalist congregation. 3 hours ago via mobile · Like · 6 Blair Panackia It seems getting it on the ballot is extremely do-able. I guess one question would be if it does turn out to be some what symbolic, would it be a motivating factor for the religious right or like the peice references would snyder be able to claim the middle ground? As with most things it will come down to GOTV efforts... 12 minutes ago via mobile · Like · 2 Susan Dailey Good points Blair...and wondering how this can help GOTV...as to Snyder...well think he may be taking trampoline lessons on the sly from the Mittster. 8 minutes ago · Unlike · 3 Charles Brown yes, Susan Dailey, The tea Republicans are gong to regret they did this. It will be repealed and the backlash is going to hit Snake Snyder , too. dialectic, negation of the negation. a few seconds ago · Edited · Like