[lbo-talk] Federal Power to Intercept Messages Is Extended

Jason Hecht jayhstata at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 21:45:35 PST 2013

Jordan -

Somebody needs to invent a "reverse" police scanner that tells you when your communications are being monitored by DARPA, DOPA, DIA, et. al. Maybe these devices exist - but wait - I'm sure they're illegal to possess. OK, so now we need some sort of "NORML" organization to make possession of a joint AND a scanner legal. I think we blew way past tragedy on our way to farce on this one.

I agree that Paul is definitely not a total idiot on our loss of a right to privacy. I think the most frightening thing is that when I ask my kids about the right to privacy in a home, they just assume that since there is no/little right to privacy at school, on the internet (which I have drilled into their heads), then there is probably no practical right to privacy in one's house (maybe because they see our neighbor's PC networks?!). Another parental failure on my part. Anyone have similar experiences speaking to young people these days about the right to privacy? Between classroom "lock downs" and zero-tolerance of so many school infractions, they've had a lot of experience living in a police state.

Jason