[lbo-talk] Federal Power to Intercept Messages Is Extended

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 05:19:00 PST 2013

Jason: " I think the most frightening thing is that when I ask my kids about the right to privacy in a home, they just assume that since there is no/little right to privacy at school, on the internet (which I have drilled into their heads), then there is probably no practical right to privacy in one's house (maybe because they see our neighbor's PC networks?!)."

[WS:] You can be surprised what you can find in students' lockers, from weapons to drugs & booze and to items stolen from other students.

So as a parent, would you rather uphold the bourgeois concept of privacy at the expense of your children's safety?

While privacy is certainly a valid concern, in the US it has become a mere battle slogan of libertarian trolls. These folks seem to oppose only government surveillance - while corporate surveillance which is far more pervasive - people are being spied on every time they use a credit card - seems to be a no issue. At least government surveillance has some semblance of public accountability (illegally obtained evidence cannot be used in courts). Corporate surveillance has no accountability at all.

So you are absolutely right - you have no practical privacy in the US if you decide to drive a car, open a bank account, and pay with plastic. In that context, government spying is merely a fart in the wind.

-- Wojtek