[lbo-talk] Federal Power to Intercept Messages Is Extended

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 08:47:19 PST 2013

No. This is the school to prison pipeline.

Leaving the issue of privacy to the side for a moment, whatever happened to the presumption of innocence?

What is the difference between cops invading schools and searching lockers and cops coming into the workplace and going through your desk?

Fuck that shit.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Jason: " I think the most frightening thing is that when I ask my kids about the right to privacy in a home, they just assume that since there is no/little right to privacy at school, on the internet (which I have drilled into their heads), then there is probably no practical right to privacy in one's house (maybe because they see our neighbor's PC networks?!)."

[WS:] You can be surprised what you can find in students' lockers, from weapons to drugs & booze and to items stolen from other students.

So as a parent, would you rather uphold the bourgeois concept of privacy at the expense of your children's safety?

While privacy is certainly a valid concern, in the US it has become a mere battle slogan of libertarian trolls. These folks seem to oppose only government surveillance - while corporate surveillance which is far more pervasive - people are being spied on every time they use a credit card - seems to be a no issue. At least government surveillance has some semblance of public accountability (illegally obtained evidence cannot be used in courts). Corporate surveillance has no accountability at all.

So you are absolutely right - you have no practical privacy in the US if you decide to drive a car, open a bank account, and pay with plastic. In that context, government spying is merely a fart in the wind.

-- Wojtek